Friday, March 25, 2011

Back to Blogging...

It's been over two months since I last posted here on my blog, and I thought it was high time I checked back in!   I've immersed myself mainly in fantasy novels so far this year, and since I rarely review novels from this genre I haven't had all that much to say to warrant a blog posting.   My reading tastes, however, are drifting back into historical fiction these days, so my plan is to do some blog catch up and post some reviews in the days and weeks ahead.   In the meantime, here is a sample of some of the more memorable novels I've read lately:

  • Blackveil by Kristen Britain (fantasy) -  4 Stars
  • Ship of Magic by Robin Hobb (fantasy) - 4.5 Stars
  • Mad Ship by Robin Hobb (fantasy) - 5 Stars
  • Ship of Destiny by Robin Hobb (fantasy) - 4 Stars
  • Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson (fantasy) - 4.5 Stars
  • Juliet by Anne Fortier (modern-day thriller/historical) - 4 Stars
  • The Queen of Last Hopes by Susan Higginbotham (historical fiction) - 3.5 Stars
  • The Book of Negroes by Lawrence Hill (Historical Fiction) - 5 Stars  Note: This book is called Someone Knows My Name in the United States.  
  • Blackout by Connie Willis (Sci Fi/Historical) - 4 Stars
I'm also struggling through Susanna Clarke's Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell.   I'm at the 400 page mark but am having a hard time bringing myself to finish the novel.   

Challenge Update:

Since I've been spending so much of my reading time on fantasy novels lately, I've been woefully neglecting the many reading challenges I've signed up for this year.    I had planned to read 3 to 5 Georgette Heyer books this year for the Georgette Heyer Challenge, but so far I've been in no mood to read any of her books.   I'm having the same issue with the Victorian Literature Reading Challenge I've signed-up for.   I'm aiming to read five works of Victorian Lit this year, but I haven't been able to bring myself to read any literature from the Victorian era yet this year.    Oh well, I still have lots of time left this year to catch up!