Monday, April 30, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I'd Like To See As Movies



It's time for Top Ten Tuesdays, a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and Bookish that features a different book/reading theme each week.   This week's list:

Top Ten Books I'd Like To See As Movies

(1) The Sunne in Splendour by Sharon Kay Penman.  Okay, the epic historical novel would probably be best served as a mini-series, but I would love to see this one on the big screen.

(2) Blackout and (3) All Clear by Connie Willis.   This 2-novel series, about mid-21st Oxford historians who travel back in time to WWII England, would be well suited for the silver screen.

(4) The House at Riverton by Kate Morton.   I'm a big fan of Kate Morton's novels, but this is the only one I can visualize as a movie. 

(5) The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern.  A movie based on this novel is already in development and, even though I wasn't as big a fan of the novel as many others, I will be very interested in seeing the story on film.   The visual effects should be stunning.

(6) Pride, Prejudice and Jasmin Field by Melissa Nathan.  This modern-day retelling of Pride & Prejudice is perhaps my favourite adaptation of a Jane Austen novel.   I think it would make a great chick flick.

(7) Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder.   I'd love to see an adaptation of this fantasy novel.

(8) Wildflower Hill by Kimberley Freeman.  I feel in love with this novel when I read it last year, and would love to see the character of Beattie Blaxland come to life on the big screen.

(9) The Shadowy Horses by Susanna Kearsley.  My favourite of Susanna Kearsley's novels, I also think it is the one best suited for a movie adaptation.

(10) Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin novels.   Master & Commander: The Far Side of the World is one of my all-time favourite movies.  It lead me to try the Patrick O'Brian series upon which it was based, and I now consider it a favourite.   While the film's characters and plot are taken from pieces of several of the series' novels, I would absolutely love to see more of this series on the big screen -- with Russell Crowe returning as Captain Jack Aubrey, of course! 

What books would you like to see turned into movies?