Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday: Older Books I Don't Want People To Forget About


It's time for Top Ten Tuesdays, a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and Bookish that features a different book/reading theme each week.   This week's topic is:

TOP TEN 'OLDER' BOOKS I DON'T WANT PEOPLE TO FORGET ABOUT

For purposes of this post I've defined 'older' books as those first published at least 15 years ago. 

(1) The Sunne in Splendour by Sharon Kay Penman.   First published in 1982, this novel, which is about the Wars of the Roses and the reigns of Edward IV and Richard III, is one of the best works of historical fiction I've had the pleasure of reading.   I consider this one a must read for fans of the historical fiction genre. 






(2) The Thorn Birds by Colleen McCullough.   This popular novel was originally published in 1977.  I read this one as a teenager and it remains a favourite of mine to this day.  








(3) John Jakes' North and South Trilogy (North & South, Love & War, Heaven & Hell).  This three volume series follows the lives and loves of two families (one from the North and one from the South) in the years before, during and after the U.S. Civil War.   This trilogy was first published between 1981 and 1987.  







(4) Patriot Games by Tom Clancy.   I'm a big fan of espionage thrillers and Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan books are among my favourites in this genre.   Patriot Games, published in 1987, is the best of the bunch. 








(5) Child of the Phoenix by Barbara Erskine.   Although Barbara Erskine is perhaps best known for her time great slip novels such as Lady of Hay, I think this one, which features a 13th century Welsh princess as the heroine, is her best.  First published in 1992. 








(6) My Lady of Cleves by Margaret Campbell Barnes.   First published in 1946, this is the only work of historical fiction I've read that features Henry VIII's fourth wife, Anne of Cleves, as the central focus of the book.   Anyone interested in Tudor historical fiction should definitely give this one a try. 







(7) Katherine by Anya Seton.   This novel is another fine example of historical fiction at its best.   Full of rich historical detail, this novel tells the story of Katherine Swynford and John of Gaunt, Duke of Lancaster.  







 
(8) Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh by Robert C. O'Brien.   Originally published in 1971, this is one of my favourite books from childhood.   









(9) Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson.   This is another childhood favourite of mine, and one of the first books I remember having an strong emotional reaction to.   I hope this book remains a favourite for kids for years to come.  First published in 1977.







(10) Judy Blume's Fudge books (Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing, SuperFudge, Fudge-A-Mania and Double Fudge).  I'm happy to see Blume's Fudge books still grace the shelves of my local bookstore years after they were first published (the first novel was published in 1972).  








What older books do you hope people don't forget about?